Sunday, November 20, 2011

Some kind of Love

 At worship this morning, we finished a long series regarding 1 Kings. 1 Kings is a book about the consequences of sin (stretching over years and years), the judgement of God, and true worship and redemption. Friends, God is who He says He is and God will do what He says He can do. This morning, after wrapping up the book, we concluded with a passage from Ephesians 2. This passage describes how salvation and true freedom are a gift from God, not something we could ever earn, achieve for, or be good enough to obtain on our own. This is what makes Christianity different from all other belief systems. Our hope rests solely in the unending and merciful love of a God who simply wants us, regardless of our faults, our short comings or our failures. I know, Wow!

Then, I come home and open my daily devotional to read the following. It was just too good to try to summarize in my own words so I copied it word for word :-) Maybe God is trying to teach me something. You think?

" I AM PLEASED WITH YOU, MY CHILD. Allow yourself to become fully aware of My pleasure shinning upon you. You don't have to perform well in order to receive My Love. In fact, a performance focus will pull away from Me, toward some sort of Pharisaism. This can be a subtle form of idolatry: worshiping your own good works. It can also be a source of deep discouragement when your works don't measure up to your expectations. Shift your focus from your performance to My radiant Presence. The Light of My Love shines on you continually, regardless of your feelings or behavior. Your responsibility is to be receptive to this unconditional Love. Thankfulness and trust are your primary receptors. Thank Me for everything; thrust in Me at all times. These simple disciplines will keep you open to My Loving Presence."

Jesus Calling
by Sarah Young

How long will it take me to truly get that? To truly understand the depths of this Love that saved my soul for all eternity?? Idon't know friends. But I am so thankful it is Truth and that He continually reminds me :-) For more about the above passage, try Ephesians 2: 8-9; 3: 16-19; and Psalm 62:8.

All is Grace,

Bethany





No comments:

Post a Comment